Friday, September 26, 2014

I'm not impressed by Ello or their "manifesto"



Today I've been seeing the term 'Ello' all over my Facebook feed, and I just discovered it's a new social network being touted as the "Anti-Facebook."

On their website, they list a manifesto (ooooooohhhh!) and declare their service "Simple, beautiful & ad-free." However, in 2010 MetaFilter user blue_beetle made a comment that would be literally be circulated around the Internet millions of times: "if you're not paying for something, you're not the customer; you're the product being sold." Think about it - how can a service as Tumblr or now Ello be completely no-cost and ad-free? Surprise! They sell your information to advertisers.

As for Ello, I don't think I'll be quick to register an account. It seems like a counter culture social network trying too hard to be about.me or Tumblr - and what's with that hideous courier font? I'll pass.

These companies trying to reinvent the social network wheel are failing to realize one massive aspect of Facebook: Everyone and their mother are on Facebook. My 65 year old mother is active on Facebook and even uploads photos with witty comments from her iPhone. We have almost a decade of memories, photos, and stories on Facebook. Why would I throw all that a way for a new service which none of my family is using or will ever use?

No comments:

Post a Comment